Want to Hire PHP Developer? Learn to Hire the Best
Innovations in technology have brought many changes in the lifestyle of humans.
One of the examples involves that of the internet. The internet has brought many innovations such as eCommerce, eLearning etc. Earlier, the internet was accessed through a computer. Now, anyone can access the internet through a mobile phone.
The following survey shows the market position of various languages used in web development.
From the graph above, we can find that PHP is used by many sites. The following graph shows that PHP is used by 78.8% of websites.
The following survey compares various server-side programming languages in web development.
A huge market created by websites or web applications. When used correctly it can bring good revenues to your business.
What is PHP?
PHP is the commonly used programming language in a website or web app development.
PHP is an open-source language. This means that anyone can use PHP without any cost. The source code of PHP is released to the public for studying, modifying and also for distribution.
Some of the websites that use PHP include Facebook, WordPress, Wikipedia, Yahoo etc.
PHP is used for server-side scripting, unlike HTML which is used for designing the layout of the web page.
Difference between server-side scripting and client-side scripting
- Server-side scripting is a process in the back-end of the website or web application. Server-side scripting helps in various operations of the website or web app such as customization, accessing application databases etc.
- Server-side scripting requires server interaction. The server-side scripting helps in establishing a connection between the server and the user.
- Some of the most used server-side scripting languages include PHP, ASP.net, Python etc.
- Client-side scripting is a process in the front-end of the web apps or websites. This scripting happens on the end user’s device. This may include all those that a user sees such as text, images etc.
- Client-side scripting does not need server interaction. It uses the web browser as a host program. Client-side scripting can minimize the load to the server
PHP and server-side scripting
PHP is one of the most popular server-side scripting languages.
Server-side scripting happens on the server-side and helps to connect to the databases in the web server. HTML or HyperText Markup Language is the basic language used to create websites. Creating interactive features is not possible with HTML. But by using PHP, one can integrate interactive elements into a website.
As PHP is an open-source language, anyone with the proper knowledge can use it for bringing more innovations. There are no specified rules to use PHP and can build features according to the PHP programmers.
PHP supports a wide range of database management systems. MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL, Sybase, Cubrid etc. are some of the popular examples of databases that can integrate with PHP.
Why is PHP important?
Originally, the full form of PHP was Personal Home Page. Now it is changed to Hypertext Preprocessor.
Rasmus Lerdorf is a Danish-Canadian programmer. He wrote many CGI (Common Gateway Interface) programs by using the language C in 1994. This was used to maintain his personal homepage. This Personal Home Page (PHP) later developed into Hypertext Preprocessor.
A blue elephant is the mascot of PHP. It is stylized as ‘elePHPant’ and was created by Vincent Pontier in 1998.
According to a survey, about 78.8% of websites work on PHP. This shows the popularity of PHP among developers and businesses.
Why is PHP favoured the most?
- PHP is a reliable scripting language and one of the most affordable options that assist you in creating a website.
- PHP works on every platform, be it Android, Windows or iOS. Most of the browsers also support PHP.
- PHP provides foolproof security. PHP provides protection against viruses and threats.
- Anyone with a sound knowledge of HTML can learn PHP very easily.
It is a very simple process to change your website that is based on HTML to PHP. PHP programming and HTML rendering is easier than other languages like ColdFusion, Python etc.
Nowadays, PHP programmers use version PHP 7. PHP 7 shows improvements in performance and better memory usage. The newest version, PHP 8 is scheduled to be released on November 26, 2020.
The good things about PHP
- It is affordable for both startups and established firms to hire PHP developers. It is better to hire PHP programmers who are experienced rather than a trainee.
- There is a large community of PHP programmers all around the globe who are connected. So there are always solutions to problems while using PHP.
- PHP is a flexible language. The flexibility of PHP helps to integrate with application databases and develop advanced web apps.
- PHP is seamlessly used in any platform without any issues.
- PHP can help in creating a more SEO friendly website than other languages like Ruby, Perl etc.
Hiring PHP developer
If you are looking to create a perfect website,it is important to hire PHP developers.
PHP programmers are an essential part of a website or web application development team. PHP programmers help in combining your web project with other services. They also assist the front-end developers in developing an ideal website or web app.
Why is PHP developer a vital part of web development?
PHP programmers write the scripts for back-end. The PHP programmers also make sure that web infrastructure is working as intended. You can also hire PHP developers to modify scripts and also to test the code for errors.
How to hire PHP developers?
When you hire PHP developers for your business, make sure that they have the required experience and expertise along with good technical skills. There are three levels of seniority in the PHP programmer’s community. They are
1. Hiring beginner level PHP developer
Fresher who does not have prior experience in the field of PHP development is called a beginner level PHP programmer. Good guidance and training can help a beginner level PHP programmer to polish the skill-set. You can hire a beginner level PHP developer to help in data manipulation and other simple tasks.
2. Hiring mid-level PHP developer
A mid-level PHP developer is more experienced than a beginner. Mid-level PHP programmers have good knowledge in the field of work. They can smoothly work under senior-level PHP programmers with a little supervision.
3. Hiring senior-level PHP developer
A senior-level PHP developer is having advanced knowledge and vast expertise in the field. Many years of experience will help a senior-level PHP programmer to quickly find solutions to problems while developing. He/she is highly skilled in every aspect of PHP.
- Hire PHP web developers who have good knowledge in other languages such as MySQL, XHTML etc. This will help in the proper integration of PHP with these frameworks that are usually used in website or web application development. Check the quality of the work by referring to the past works before you hire PHP developers.
- When you opt to hire PHP web developers, always be sure that he/she is a good team player. The PHP programmer can effectively collaborate with others and ensure a proper work-flow and quality of the product.
- Hire PHP developers who can upgrade themselves according to the newest trend in the industry and who have all the required skill-set.
When you hire PHP developer, you can go for any of the following options.
- Hire PHP development company
- Hire freelance PHP developer
- Hire dedicated PHP developers
Hiring PHP development company vs hiring freelance PHP developer vs hiring dedicated PHP developer
The three choices mentioned above have their own merits and demerits. You can compare the three options and hire PHP web developers that are best suited to your needs.
1. Hiring PHP development company
There are many PHP development companies that offer good quality work. Before hiring a PHP development company of your choice, you should understand its advantages and disadvantages.
1.1 Advantages of hiring PHP development company
When you hire a PHP development company you get PHP programmers who are having years of experience in this field. There is no need for giving any training and can start the project once an agreement is made between the development company and you.
When you hire a PHP development company, you get PHP programmers who are having excellent expertise in various fields of web development. Educational portals, ecommerce sites, news portals, NGO websites all make use of PHP to develop a better website.
- Timely delivery
PHP development companies usually follow an established workflow. This makes sure that the product is delivered on time. So, hire PHP development companies with positive reviews of past clients and ensure that they can deliver the project under the specified time.
- Best development practises
A good PHP development company will ensure the delivery of a quality product by following good development practises. This includes proper documentation, clean written codes, troubleshooting for errors etc. A PHP development company also uses the newest technologies in developing your PHP program.
- Certified PHP developers
PHP programmers are having a worldwide ever-growing community. To hire PHP developers who are the best from this community is a difficult task. But when you hire a PHP development company, you get access to certified PHP programmers. The PHP development company will conduct interviews and tests to know the skill level before they hire PHP developers.
There are some disadvantages as well while hiring a PHP development company.
1.2 Disadvantages of hiring a PHP development company
- If you didn’t perform a good background check before you hire a PHP development company, you might incur extra charges. Some PHP development companies can overcharge the client based on the increase in their employee salary or other office expenses.
- Before the start of the project, an agreement might be made by the PHP development company and the client on the number of revisions. If the client needs more number of revisions in the future, he/she is bound by the contract that allows only a certain number of revisions.
- The cost of hiring a PHP development company is higher than that of a freelance PHP developer. The client should pay for all the expenses while hiring a PHP development company. But when hiring a freelance PHP developer, he needs to only pay for the service.
There are some advantages and disadvantages of hiring freelance PHP developers, which is discussed in the next section.
2. Hiring freelance PHP developer
Hiring freelance PHP developers are the best option if there are budgetary restrictions. Some of the advantages of hiring freelance PHP developers are as follows.
2.1 Advantages of hiring freelance PHP developer
- As a freelance PHP developer cost less compared to other available options, this is a good option for a startup. The startup can invest the saved money on other core objectives of the business.
- A freelance PHP developer can work without any supervision or guidance. To be the best in the industry, a freelancer updates themselves with the newest technologies and practices.
- Usually, a freelance PHP developer works on a global level. So the freelance PHP developer knows the different kinds of trends practised by different businesses. A client can use this knowledge to the advantage of their business.
- A freelance PHP developer may not follow a 9 to 5 work schedule. So a client can appoint time slots according to his/her choice. Therefore flexibility of communication is an advantage of hiring freelance PHP developers.
- There are many search platforms available on the internet to find the best freelance PHP developers.
2.2 Disadvantages of hiring freelance PHP developer
- A freelance PHP developer who does not have any ethics would drop out from your project mid-way for more profitable work. So it is important to sign contracts between you and the freelance PHP developer.
- A client has full control over the working of an employee in the in-house team. But, the client has little control over a freelance PHP developer.
- There are only some freelance PHP developers who are experienced professionals in their field who give the best output. Quality of work is affected when you end up hiring a freelance PHP developer who does not show any professionalism and skill.
- There are freelance PHP developers who post fake reviews and ratings of themselves. Confidentiality issues and disputes based on payments is a problem while hiring such freelance PHP developers
- A freelance PHP developer might be working on multiple projects at a time. So meeting the deadlines is a problem while hiring a freelance PHP developer.
3. Hiring dedicated PHP developers
When you hire dedicated PHP developers, you can be sure that you get quality work for a reasonable price. Unlike freelance PHP developers, a dedicated PHP developer is like a member of your in-house team. You have direct control over the dedicated PHP developer. You get the following advantages when you hire dedicated PHP developers.
3.1 Advantages of hiring dedicated PHP developers
- Quick completion time
When you hire dedicated PHP programmers, the project turn-around time can be significantly reduced. It is because the requirements are already understood and the dedicated PHP developer will be hired based on the required skill set to complete the project on time.
- Easy management
Hiring dedicated PHP developers will help you greatly in team management. Dedicated PHP developers are flexible, which means that you can increase or decrease the size of the team according to the need. A project manager will be responsible for smooth communication between you and the dedicated PHP developers. You can hire dedicated PHP developers if you want to develop a quality product under your supervision, just like an in-house team.
Cost is significantly reduced when you hire dedicated PHP developers. There are no additional costs incurred for training the employees as in an in-house development team. You also don’t need to spend any additional costs for equipment, allowances, annual bonuses etc. These all expenses are implicitly covered in the service rate of dedicated PHP developers.
- Experience and expertise
Hire dedicated PHP programmers to get a team of employees who are experienced in working on various areas of web development. Due to their level of mastery, they can come up with solutions to problems within a shorter span of time.
- High level of security, reliability, flexibility and professionalism
Hire dedicated PHP developers who are very professional in their approach. Dedicated PHP developers will mostly have the experience of working for several clients and projects at a global level. They can help you with conceptualization of ideas that best suit your project.
Hire dedicated PHP programmers who follow proper documentation procedures and data protection protocols.
There are also some disadvantages when you hire dedicated PHP developers.
3.2 Disadvantages of hiring dedicated PHP developers
- If you hire dedicated PHP programmers from another country, different time zones might cause problems in communication. If there is something important to communicate regarding the product development and if it is not possible due to network issues or one party being not available, it could increase the delivery time of the product.
- Dedicated PHP developers might not always have a project manager to oversee the work as in the case of an in-house development team. You might need to also hire a dedicated project manager to oversee the work of dedicated PHP developers.
- When you hire dedicated PHP developers from another country, always analyse the geopolitical situation. The development of the project would be stopped or delayed If there is any situation of geopolitical unrest such as wars or terrorist attacks.
Best place to hire PHP developers
You can hire PHP developers mainly from the
- The internet
- PHP communities
- Referrals from your professional contacts
There are many freelance/B2B platforms that help in hiring freelance PHP developers from around the globe. Some of them include Freelancer, Truelancer, We Work Remotely etc. If you want to hire dedicated PHP programmers, you can search in Toptal, Hired, Upwork, Clutch etc.
If you have a LinkedIn account, you can use it to connect with PHP programmers who have the required skill-set.
PHP is having a large community of developers. A client can look in PHP communities to hire PHP web developers with the desired skill set. PHP communities and groups can be found in social media networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook etc. and also on internet forums. You can also attend PHP conferences where you can meet exceptional PHP developers.
Referrals from your professional contacts
You can seek help from your professional circles to find the best PHP developers. They might give you the contact details of experienced PHP developers who they might have worked with in the past.
Cost of hiring PHP developer
There are some factors that influence the cost of hiring PHP programmers. Some of them include the following:
- Geographical location
- Complexity of project
As the experience of a PHP programmer increases, the rate of hiring also increases. For example, a junior PHP developer, on an average, charges about $20 an hour. The mid-level PHP developer charges about $30 per hour and a senior PHP developer may charge $40 and above.
When you hire PHP programmers from developed countries such as the U.S., it could cost in between $10,000-$15,000 for a one-month long project. The annual salary of PHP programmers from the U.S is about $103,000.
Some countries such as India and Ukraine have PHP developers who could help you with your web project at a very low rate. A client may need to spend about $5000 for a project in these countries, or maybe more, depending on the size and complexity of the project. The PHP developers from the Asian countries have an annual salary of about $50,000. It is less compared to the salary of the PHP programmers from the U.S.
The required skill set will vary depending on the nature and requirements of the project. You can hire a mid-level developer for a simple project that does not need the expertise of a senior level PHP developer.
For a more complex project, you will need to hire a senior-level developer who is equipped with the knowledge of different areas of web development, for example -back-end, front-end, SEO, technology architecture, web security etc. So, the rate of hiring PHP developers differs according to the type of project and the skill level of the PHP developer.
Complexity of project
The rate of hiring PHP developers is influenced by the complexity of the project. For a simple project with fewer features, the cost of developing is in between $1500-$3500. A mid-level project can be completed in between $5500-$10,500. For a complex product with advanced features, it may cost $15,500 and above.
To develop a web-based solution that stands out from the competitions, you need to hire PHP developers who are exceptional in their field of work. In other words, the experience, skillset and expertise of developers are the backbones of any good web-based solution.
AlignMinds Technologies is an award-winning mobile app development company with a decade of success stories. We offer digital product engineering services that include strategy and design, web and mobile app development, DevOps and cybersecurity. We can help your businesses to get an edge in the competition through innovative solutions. Contact us now!